Diversity & Inclusion Interview Series: Talking About Unconscious Bias
Each interview in this series includes the BASICs, WHYs AND HOWs regarding diversity and inclusion.
When we hear the words “diversity and inclusion” we think of race and maybe culture. Of course, when speaking about the diversity of ethnicity, race and culture are key aspects. But diversity and inclusion are much broader. Diversity cuts across all facets of our lives and it plays an important role, as important as helping us to survive.
Workplace diversity and inclusion improves the work environment.
Research shows that diverse and inclusive work groups produce more awareness and more exchange of information. Diversity brings in new ideas and experiences, and people can learn from each other. Bringing in different ideas and perspectives leads to better problem-solving. Working in diverse teams opens dialogue and promotes creativity.
The first expert interview in this series is Maz Kamaruddin, Assistant Vice President, Field Diversity Markets & Inclusion at Guardian Life.
We are… Talking About Unconscious Bias … and so much more!
You’ll uncover some blind spots you didn’t know you had or garner some golden nuggets to take with you.
- 0:00 – Intro
- 2:02 – What can leaders do to become more aware and effective when it comes to diversity and inclusion?
- 2:20 – What are the two basic steps?
- 2:43 – What is unconscious bias? And what can we do to address it?
- 4:02 – Why is intentional goal setting important?
- 5:25 – What does culturally competent mean? What should we do?
- 8:24 – What does micro-inequity mean and why is it important to be sensitive to micro-inequities when asking questions to learn about diversities?
Let’s keep this conversation going! Whether you have ideas, questions, or insights please connect with me HERE or SCHEDULE A CALL with me. I can’t wait to hear from you.